CICBA- Revitalizing Calgary’s Established Areas
Who We Are
We are a non-profit association of diverse and passionate professionals, experienced builders, developers, renovators, trades, suppliers and consultants dedicated to the redevelopment movement in Calgary.
CICBA’s mandate is to work with the city of Calgary councillors, city administration, stakeholders and the public to help promote and achieve the goals that city council has set forth in the MDP. To work towards a balance between redeveloping areas of the city outlined in MDP plans and approvals for providing more Greenfield areas. The city requires both types of development to work hand in hand for a city to grow at a consistent and sustainable rate.
Calgary is one of the largest cities in North America! Our land mass footprint is huge! Redevelopment and densification are needed to keep this city at a sustainable level. Without strong redevelopment the end result will be an increase in taxes and/or reduction of city services. Did you know that one simple infill, at a bare minimum, doubles the property tax base without the need for new infrastructure, emergency services, parks, utilities, roads, schools, snow clearing and many other services.
What is an Infill
An infill is the process or development of a vacant or under-used land within existing urban areas that are already developed. An infill can consist of demolishing a building and replacing it with something new, or the development of residential, commercial or office buildings on vacant lots in existing neighbourhoods.
Benefits of an Infill
Homes that fit your needs
- More options to live in mature neighbourhoods
- Creating opportunities to build more energy efficient buildings
- A new infill home meets the needs of growing family
- Retirees may want to stay in the neighbourhoods they have lived all their lives, but are looking to downsize
- Couples and young professionals who want to be close to downtown and the its amenities
- Living close to work and reduce your carbon footprint.
- Infill development leads to increased use of local amenities, and allows city services to reach more residents at a lower cost.
- Building in existing neighbourhoods helps save taxpayers money because additional roads, sewers, services, and infrastructure associated with building are not needed
- Increasing density creates walkable neighbourhoods
- Undeveloped homes or land can also benefit financially as property values appreciate throughout the neighbourhood
Keeping communities Viable
- Some residential and commercial spaces in these mature communities are rundown, under appreciated and unsafe
- Infills not only regenerates the physical structure, it also revitalize the community
- Infills bring young children to older neighbourhoods, keeping schools and public amenities such as local recreation centres and halls open.
- Bring more people into these communities helps local businesses
- Family dynamics are changing and that reflects in every community
- Infills creates housing for parents, children, grandparents, and renters to co-exist in the same community
- Infills help the environment in a number of ways – decrease harmful car emissions by reducing our dependency on cars, new infill homes are more energy efficient than existing older homes and commercial buildings.
Vibrant, Healthy Living
- In walkable communities, people typically tend to walk more because it is more pleasant and convenient
- Transit services increase in areas that have a larger population.
- Living in mature areas allows a more active lifestyle
- Living in mature neighbourhoods means reduced commute times and increased family time
How long does it take to build an infill
From starting the planning of your home to the final touches can take 8-24 months.
Residential and Commercial redevelopment of Calgary is vital to insuring that the city is sustainable.
Redevelopment uses existing infrastructure rather than creating new infrascture. Ultimately this reduces the capital costs and investments required by the city in turn keeping taxes lower.
Choose a Professional Certified Members
At CICBA not just anyone can be a certified member. We keep our standards high through a thorough vetting process. We have also established the CICBA Certified program giving the public better assurances of who they are dealing with.
One Industry Multiple Voices
Redevelopment involves many different aspects of the building industry. CICBA has a large diverse member base equally representing all. Suppliers, professional consultants, skilled trades, specialists, realtors and builders each make up a vital part of the process.